Florida Cannabis History
The Florida Medical Marijuana Legalization Initiative, also known as Amendment 2, was approved in 2016. Guidelines for Florida's medical cannabis program are described in SB 8-A: Medical Use of Marijuana.
Amendment 2 added a new section to Florida’s state Constitution, entitled “Medical marijuana production, possession and use" protecting qualified patients, caregivers, physicians, and medical marijuana dispensaries and their staff from criminal prosecutions or civil sanctions under Florida law.
Florida Child-Resistant Packaging Rules
Medical marijuana products in Florida must be packaged in a receptacle that has a firmly affixed and legible label stating the following information:
- (I) The marijuana or low-THC cannabis meets the requirements of sub-subparagraph d.
- (II) The name of the medical marijuana treatment center from which the marijuana originates.
- (III) The batch number and harvest number from which the marijuana originates and the date dispensed.
- (IV) The name of the physician who issued the physician certification.
- (V) The name of the patient.
- (VI) The product name, if applicable, and dosage form, including concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol. The product name may not contain wording commonly associated with products marketed by or to children.
- (VII) The recommended dose.
- (VIII) A warning that it is illegal to transfer medical marijuana to another person.
- (IX) A marijuana universal symbol developed by the department.
Useful Links for Florida Cannabis Regulations
Enacted in 1970, the Poison Prevention Packaging Act (PPPA) requires a number of household substances to be packaged in child-resistant packaging.
Florida Cannabis Growers Application
For more information about Florida's cannabis growing application process, please refer to The Florida Department of Health Office of Medical Marijuana Use (OMMU)
Editor's Note: Status as of 4/1/2021
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Washington D.C. | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming